A variable speed drive controls motor speed and torque by varying the motor input voltage and frequency. A very close match between motor speed and the output requirements of the machine it is driving may therefore be achieved.
Variable Speed drives offer the user a number of advantages including:
- Energy savings
- Elimination of expensive mechanical drive components
- Increased motor longevity
- Reduced power line disturbances
- Reduced risk of motor damage during start up and stop
The energy savings alone can often justify the cost of purchase and installation of a VSD. Unfortunately, most of these advantages may be compromised by poor installation, operation and maintenance practice. To apply a VSD correctly a basic understanding of the following is required:
- Safe working practices.
- Understand the place for a VSD in the overall system.
- How to identify the best VSD for the job.
- Correct installation and set-up.
- The VSD user interface.
- Fault and warning action and processing.
- Preventative maintenance.
Should you need any assistance in identifying the correct VSD for you, please contact our sales department Directly +27 11 434 1345, we also offer Full Installation and training for your staff.